Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Minerva Loves the USA (network)



I'm not a total anti-patriot there are a lot of things about the United States of America I respect. That however is beside the point.  The point is that I  do in fact love the USA network. It for fills a demand for unrubbish TV between the end of July and the beginning of November, when there is a severe lack of quality BBC programs of any kind. For those of you who are wondering why this is it is because of a serious misjudgment on the part of the BBC producers who decided that the appropriate number of episodes for a TV season was thirteen. Why would they think this, you ask. The only logical reason I can come up with is that they are the minions of Satan and they enjoy the agonized screams of tortured fans. 

Anyhow, not only does USA for fill a need but their shows are actually pretty darn entertaining. I have never watched a show that came out specifically for the USA network that I did not enjoy. They’re light fluffy and consumer driven but they have jokes that make me laugh and characters that make me smile, every time. They remind me of the old 1960 sitcoms; Gilligan’s island, Hogan’s Heroes, Bewitched. They never strove to have any lasting affect on the audience just to entertain. Yet if you get caught humming a theme song even thirty years after you stop watching the show there’s good chance it has something to do with a 3-Hour Tour.

I started watching Psych three years ago, mainly because of Shawn’s mutual love of fruit and 80’s movies. Then one of my friends convinced me to watch Monk. Thus began the slippery slop into addiction. After that came Royal Pains, White Collar, and Covert Affairs.

If you have five hours a week to waste watching fluffy television give it a try, but be careful ones you give in you’ll never get away.

Minerva

No comments:

Post a Comment