Sunday, August 22, 2010

Minerva





Mi·ner·va  (m-nûrv)
n. Roman Mythology
The goddess of wisdom, invention, the arts, and martial prowess. She came to be identified with the Greek Athena.

So, I’m not Minerva. I am dedicating this blog to the goddess of wisdom, art, and creation with the intent of upholding those values on this site. 

In the wisdom area I will be focusing on my obsession with history, mythology, and natural science most prominently anything involving Great Britain. Let me fill you in now before we go on. I am a crazy anglophile. If I don't mention the British Isles in someway in any post here please bring it to my attention and I will remedy the situation. 

This leads nicely into the art section. I have a small infatuation with Shakespeare and old romantic ballads such as Robin Hood. My favourite book is Alice in Wonderland and I might throw in a Sherlock reference now and then. I also have a lifelong relationship with the works of Tolkien and Lewis. However my true love is the BBC. Not BBC news or those old people mysteries that come on at 11 o'clock on PBS, though I have been know to sit through a Ms. Marple or two. I mean BBC drama. 

On top of my obsessions list is Doctor Who. My obsession with this show encompasses all 31 seasons, from 1963 when in first graced our screens to 2005 and on when it returned to enchant a new generation of whovians, one of which happened to be me. I may not be the foremost expert on whovianology but if you have any questions on the show I will of course try my best to quench your need for knowledge. 

Other BBC shows I might mention are Primeval, Merlin, Sherlock, and Robin Hood. Although they are by no means the extent of interest in the glamorous world of television and film. I also have a love for black and white films especially those that have been toughed with the genius of Frank Capra, Howard Hawks and the like.

"But this isn't art. It’s just TV and movies." you say. Well that’s where you’d be wrong. The entertainment business, when done right is just as much art as the works of Shakespeare or Van Gosh. They are created by people who love what they are doing and are proud of what the have created. As with most artist the want to send their work in to the world to be admired adored and appreciated.

On the creation side I’d like to focus on new ideas and new ideals. How the world is changing for the better do to human innovation. This will be a sort of a challenge for me, as I tend to be pretty cynical when it comes to human nature. I’d like to ask anyone who might be killing some time reading this to call me out if I get to righteous over the wrongs of the world. I fact when I need lighten up on rant give me a ">0 <3 :D" and I’ll post a feel good story and dedicate it to you.

Thanks for stopping by.

Minerva


No comments:

Post a Comment